I agree with you Jim.  For years I've operated digital modes with a direct
connection between the IN's and OUT's of the sound card to the radio.  Using
the VOX to control the T/R sequence {and any radio worth it's salt has a
good VOX, although many don't} does the trick nicely.

Now, if you end up with humm or buzz that indicates that you have other
issues that need to be addressed in your station.  These are typically RFI
or ground loops.  Addition of transformers for isolation is a Band-Aid fix
as the typical transformers have serious ringing when not correctly
terminated.  Also they are very prone to introduction of humm from power
supply sources.

With this approach, using available free software, one can record audio
direct from the receiver and play it back direct to the transmitter to give
other stations an idea of how their signal sounds at your QTH.   I've done
this many times to assist others in getting an idea of how their transmitter
and audio path sounds on the air.

73
Bob, K4TAX