As long as I'm on a 'roll', I might as well post this item as well...

Removing this side panel screw is relatively painless, but
reinstalling it is more difficult.  Because the screw is threaded
through two threaded devices (2D fastener and hex standoff), with no
split lock washer between them to allow for some 'adjustment' of the
tension between them, re-installing the screw will go fine through
the 2D fastener, but once it gets to the hex standoff, the threads
will not match exactly and the screw will have to 'push' the hex
standoff away from the 2D fastener for a small distance (a portion of
the length of the single 4-40 screw thread) until the threads match
and the screw can be tightened up AGAINST THE 2D FASTENER (but NOT
against the standoff which is still a portion of a thread width away).

I can understand why Elecraft had to do things in this manner, but
now, in order to re-tighten the standoff against the 2D fastener, you
must be able to access the standoff so it can be manually
re-tightened.  You must 1) remove the 4-40 X 1/4" screw (and washer)
attaching the KAT3/KANT3 PC board to the standoff, 2) remove the
KAT3/KANT3 PC board, and then possibly remove the top-right rear
panel screw to allow access to the standoff.  Then, you have to put
things back together once again as well.  Whew!  A whale of a lot of
work just to re-install a single screw.

If you're interested in my (too simple) solution to this problem,
take a look at the full discussion at:

    http://www.n0ss.net/index_k3.html

73,

Tom   N0SS