On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:56:31 -0400, Lu Romero wrote:

>Here Here!  (or Hear Hear):

>Jim, are you a disciple of Frank Foti?  :)

Never heard of him.

>The best way to fix audio ambient noise issues is through
>your environment's acoustics instead of "fixing it in the
>mix" with processing and gating.

Yes. The noise sources in my shack are the fans in my Ten Tec Titan
power amps, and a few outboard fans I've added to cool their power
supplies for high duty-cycle contesting. The Titan fans can get
pretty noisy, and their case/chassis can amplify their vibrations,
making them louder. I keep the screws tightened so the lids don't
vibrate, and I've got both amps (I do SO2R) sitting on soft acoustic
foam to decouple them from the desktop that they're sitting on. I've
also placed some absorption on the walls behind the amps. Although I
haven't measured it, I'd estimate that I've attenuated it by 6dB or
so.

>Folks shouldnt forget that we are transmitting into a very
>noisy medium.  High dynamic range defeats intelligibility.
>SENSIBLE "compression" (RF Clipping) settings are your
>friends, as you then reduce the dynamic range (the
>difference between the loudest and the softest sounds in a
>given audio waveform) and have more "modulation density" to
>rise above the ambient noise on the band.

EXACTLY!

>Try to pay attention to the natural acoustics in your
>operating position, if you can.  Curtains help, hard walls
>hurt.  Carpet helps, Terrazo floors hurt.

More very good advice. The key benefit of this is to reduce the wild
sound (both noise and wall reflections) that the mic hears. In
addition to funky carpet on the floor, more absorption is provided
by walls holding books on shelves.

73,

Jim K9YC