On Sun, 2 May 2010 12:02:33 -0700, Elliott Lawrence wrote:

>Does the K2 put out VFOA frequency information on the pin 2 TXD and pin3
RXD
>lines continuously?  Does it need to be polled to obtain this info?  I want
>to use it with a Steppir interface that works perfectly with the K3!!

Nearly all radios and ham logging software use only pins 2, 3, and signal
return for radio control and information. The K2 uses the other pins on its
DB9 connector for other functions that are VERY different from the RS232
standard.

The SteppIR controller I own (the newer SDR100) monitors the serial line for
frequency instructions sent from the computer control program to the radio,
and will change frequency to follow those instructions. I don't believe that
it gets frequency info from the radio. Or perhaps it doesn't when there's a
computer controlling the radio.

To clarify that, to make the SteppIR change frequency, I must use my logging
software to tune the radio. For example, in N1MM (and in several others) I
can send the radio to a frequency (14050 kHz, for example) by typing 14050
into the entry window. I can also change bands with <CTRL> <PG UP> and
<CTRL> <PG DN>. In both cases, the SteppIR controller will follow it. But if
I change bands on the radio, the SteppIR controller doesn't move.

I don't know if the SteppIR controller works with the K2. You should call
them and ask. When I was getting mine set up, I had several conversations
with their support guy, and he was quite helpful.

73,

Jim K9YC