Guy,

You are quite right about the ability to whistle softly - and I might
add, with only a single tone - usually a whistle is multi-frequency.

I would suggest a better solution for testing than to 'whistle into the
mic'.  There are some PC based tone generators available as freeware -
run the tone generator on the PC and direct the microphone in front of
the speaker (or use the line input on the K3 to inject the audio - it
depends on what you are trying to test).  Google for "Marchland Function
Generator" for a nice generator capable of several different waveforms
or "ttg.exe" for a sine wave only generator with sweep capability.  I
use both and they work well, and I am certain there are others - you can
use NCH tone generator for a trial period before it stops working,

73,
Don W3FPR