On Mon, 03 May 2010 14:45:19 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:

>I would suggest a better solution for testing than to 'whistle into the
>mic'.

Yes. Smart sound engineers have learned to simply tap or scratch a mic to
figure out if it's on and working, then speak into it to get a handle on
quality. Blowing and whistling are bad ideas -- blowing causes overload of
input stages on the low end, whistling on the high end.

When I want a simple quick check of my rig tuning after changing bands and/or
antennas, I'll simply tap or scratch the mic and watch for output and low
SWR. And if I need to tune it, there's the XMIT button or even a long grunted
"One." :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC