W5JAW has a click free MP but he says making it totally click free
required much more work than just the common modifications - the fix
included a multi-stage ALC modification.

Two comments from Jim:

"As I told you some time back, I worked real hard on optimizing the
keying waveform on my rig.  It's as close to optimum as I could get
it; the result is "Gaussian" in shape.  Very narrow bandwidth, yet still
clear copy up to 100 WPM.  Due to the messy way that Yaesu implemented
the keying, it was necessary to modify several stages of the IF string
to achieve this without screwing up the QSK operations."

and:

"Re: Key click mods:  The W8JI mod does help a lot, but is far from
optimum.  Much better than nothing.  Because it depends on a simple RC
filter on the gate of a MOSFET, it provides a very asymetrical wave
shape.  Also, since the transfer characteristics of the FET vary widely,
the rise/fall times do too.  Also, I still enjoy QRQ operations, with
QSK, and these simple fixes don't work very well for that.

The other problem with these rigs is that even with good wave shaping,
there can still be a significant thump on the first dit of a string if
there has been a 1 second delay or more since the last character was
sent.  This is due to the way the ALC works.  The power level is
controlled by setting a threshold in this circuit.  The attack time is
very fast, and will create a click, even with earlier waveshaping.  I
solved this by decoding the CW mode from available logic levels, and
then, when in this mode, biased the ALC input just below threshold
level.  This makes the first dit after a delay look same as any following.

I can always tell when someone is using a 1000mp with a simple click
fix.  No clicks except at the start of a new word."

Dunc, W5DC