WHY?  The K3/100 is 1900.  For $100 you would buy the Kenwood - NOT.  73,
Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "juergen" <plebia...@yahoo.com>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Son of K3??

Hi

If the new Kenwood does deliver K3 like performance at the reported price of
1800 dollars, its going to be a huge seller. This price is not much more
than a TS480.

What this competitive price means is that radios like the Yaesu FT5000 will
struggle to find wide acceptance since its almost  3 times the price of this
new Kenwood. This competitive pricing versus performance from Kenwood truly
might be a new turning point in the ham radio market. What it  also means is
that big, expensive  white elephant radios like the FTDX9000 and IC7800
might well be a thing of the past.

Assuming that the Kenwood does deliver on its receiver performance claims, 2
of these radios at 3600 dollars will be a bargain.

Elecraft could  take the lead and produce a single receiver version of the
K3 with a 200 watt PA,  inbuilt power supply, and possibly a bigger front
panel. However I dont see this happening.

The high performance end of the ham radio market is certainly going to be
crowded, the winners will certainly be the ham fraternity. The only losers
are people like Icom who have expensive radios like the IC7700 and IC7800
which have marginal IMD dynamic range. From this perspective the Kenwood
radio is a welcome!

John

--- On Sat, 5/15/10, George A. Thornton <gthorn...@thorntonmostullaw.com>