named Kenwood Service. ;-)

PS - Or Kenwood parts - ack!

[Elecraft] Son of K3??

William Ravenel wmrav at triad.rr.com
Sat May 15 20:24:20 EDT 2010

I talked to a Kenwood rep at Dayton this morning. He said the TS-590 would have
the best receiver specs out there. I asked if it would beat the K3 and he said
the TS-590 would have the best receiver specs out there. The radio has an IF of
11MHz and two stock roofing filters - 2.8KHz and 500Hz - no spare slots and no
options. It will not have a second receiver or option for one. I remarked on
it's superficial similarity to the K3 and he said that the K3 had done some
things right and that they were not too proud to use them. Price is expected to
be $1800 and expected to be available in the fall. The model on display was an
operational hand-built prototype with some features disabled.

As a very happy K3 owner, if Kenwood can meet or slightly exceed the K3
receiver numbers with this radio then more power to them. It still won't match
the overall capability of the K3 and Kenwood certainly won't match the Elecraft
level of support. It might, however, attract users who are looking for a radio
with good specs at a mid-level price and without the complications (or
availability) of options.

Will, AI4VE