> Several modern rigs I have owned have the AF gain tied to the
 > sidetone volume,  why not the K3?

Among other reasons, many top lowband and weak signal operators
disable AGC, turn the AF gain to nearly full and control the
volume using the RF gain.  This procedure optimizes signal to
noise ratio in high ambient noise conditions.

If the sidetone (or monitor) were tied to the AF Gain control
it would be excessively loud - potentially to the point of
damaging hearing.  Providing an independent, front panel adjustment
of the sidetone/monitor is the appropriate approach to maximize
user flexibility.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV