Knut and Don,

I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the planet.  I have experienced
overhead cloud-to-cloud discharges three times in my life, once in New
Jersey, once on Cape Cod,  and once here.  Both caused damage by inducing
voltages in cables connected to computers, printers, microwave ovens, TVs,
and radios.

Connecting the 10 wires I need to use my K3 takes less than 5 minutes.  I
place it one the right side feet for the antennas and key and paddle, normal
position for everything else.  I have enough slack in the cables to pull the
K3 about 12 inches from the back wall.

I hear you, but will trust nothing but complete disconnection.  I have a
complete ground system for the shack.

Monty K2DLJ