Larry,

RS-232 cables cannot be simply daisy-chained or Y'ed.
Like normal logic lines, there can be only one driver on any one signal
line.   Some logic families do allow 'wire-or' and 'wire-and'
connections with the proper selection of drivers, but that is a special
case.
The receivers are high impedance, and one can have several receivers on
the cable (that is what the SteppIR Y cables do - they only listen to
the communications on the line)

The drivers are the problem - along with the switching levels.  The
levels must be maintained either below -3 volts or above +3 volts so the
receivers will not be detecting invalid data levels.  If two drivers are
on a signal line, and one is trying to provide an ON level while the
other is trying to provide an OFF level, confusion will reign.  Even if
one driver is powered off, it can still draw current from the line which
will interfere with the other driver.  The RS-232 drivers are not like
tri-state devices which effectively disconnect from the line when
powered off.

So as a result, RS-232 is a point to point system only, and except for
special circumstances, that restriction must be followed.

73,
Don W3FPR