I encountered an interesting situation building a new control panel
box for my station that controls all the radio equipment: antenna
relays, preamps, transverters, amplifiers and switches between two
radios: FT-847 and the K3/10.  I used opto-isolators to separate the
radio side from the computer.  Specifically using the RTS and DTR
lines of RS-232 to control PTT and keying functions used by a lot of
ham sw.  I was surprised to discover that the RS-232 levels caused
the opto-isolators to activate on both LO and HI levels.  Apparently,
they did not like the -11vdc LO logic level.  I bypassed the
opto-isolator direct to 2N2222 relay drivers with no issues.

What this has to do with the current thread is I have two computers
that I like to use with the radios (one computer runs old DOS-based
programs) so I route the RS-232 lines thru a four-port parallel
switch that has sub-D25 pin connectors.  I was concerned that serial
would not be passed but on inspecting the switch the connectors are
connected pin-for-pin so it is transparent to whatever is
connected.  I use standard serial cables with sub-D25 to sub-D9.

One more comment: I had to add some wiring to support RXD and TXD in
another HB A-B switch so that downloads would pass to the K3.  The HB
switch is wired with twisted pair stripped from cat-5e cable.

73, Ed - KL7UW
haven't uploaded either the new firmware or editor (soon)

Message: 1