David,

Your symptoms clearly indicate that you are suffering from 6m Bugitis, and I
regret to have to tell you that there is no known cure!

As you point out there is a lot going on on 6m, even during the lean times,
more than one would believe from reading the text books. Also don't be
fooled by Sporadic E, sure it peaks during the summer months and December,
but it (or something very similar) can appear for brief periods at any time
in the year.

Happy hunting!

73,

Geoff.