> "I always run the speaker line out to a switching system, and I terminate
that line in a load safe for the radio. Then I bridge off that line with
either a good big speaker and audio amp, or headphones."

A while back, I found a used broadcast-quality 8 x 8 audio matrix switcher,
with built-in high-quality speaker amp and digital telco hybrid.  Its a
Gentner/ClearOne XAP-400 and typical cost is USD $60 through the big auction
site.  The older model is the Gentner AP400 but is essentially the same unit
and can be purchased for even less.  New, these units sold for nearly USD
$4K just a couple years ago.

Switching across the matrix is accomplished with free PC software available
from the ClearOne web site.  A block diagram appears on the PC screen and
one clicks on each functional block to make switching changes.  It's a very
intuitive and graphical switching diagram.  Routing, compression, EQ, and
multipe switching patterns between balanced and unbalanced audio is
accomplished with a couple mouse clicks.

These units also contain high-quality mic preamps (software switchable for
either mic or line) with selectable phantom power for condenser mics.  Each
input contains a true, 3-stage instrumentation op-amp.  This makes
connection to either balanced or unbalanced sources very easy with
predictable results and minimum common-mode issues.

For roughly USD $60 each, these units are an incredible deal for folks who
have been considering an audio matrix witching switching system.  The
speaker power amp and a digital telco hybrid are a bonus.  HF phone patches
aren't too common these days, but the Gentner digital hybrids are fully
automatic and dynamically adapt to each phone line for maximum trans-hybrid
loss.   I've configured my Gentner unit with a desktop DTMF control pad sold
by JK Audio.  A picture of the Gentner and JK Audio devices can be seen on
my QRZ.com page.

Multiple Gentner units can be linked together and I imagine for a large
contest station, nearly any audio combination one could think of can be
switched.  My plan is to integrate a pair of XAP-400 units (16 x 16) with
W8ZR's new StationPo II device.  If you've not yet seen Jim's amazing
station router, have a look at the link below.  A complete write-up will
also be available in the upcoming August issue of QST.

http://www.w8zr.net/stationpro/index.htm

Paul, W9AC