Joe, given where you live, in northern Ohio, you could go for days without
hearing anything on 6 meters.  I live in the Los Angeles area, and I sometimes
just tune the K3 to 50.125 (the SSB calling frequency) and listen for activity
while I'm working from home.  There are three or four guys (in a metropolitan
area of 8 million) who pop up on the band every day calling QRZ to look for
sporadic-E contacts, and on some days, that's about it.  When Sporadic-E opens
up, it can get real lively.

You can check your rig's performance if you have any 6 meter repeaters in your
area, but you'll need a vertical antenna (I use a 6 meter J-pole), since all
the FM activity on 6 meters is vertically polarized, whereas most SSB activity
is horizontally polarized. (However, some LA area ops work SSB with vertical
polarization).  The 6 meter FM calling frequency for simplex is 53.600 mHz.

there is a 6 meter repeater in Detroit (53.94 output, 131.8 PL), and one in
Toledo at 53.65, 103.5 PL). 6 meter repeaters are -.5 mhz offset for input. I
don't see any listed in the repeater guides for Cleveland.  You might try to
hit those machines to test your rig, if you have the wide filter necessary for
FM transmission with the K3 and can put together a vertical 6 meter antenna. If
the "custom" in northern Ohio and Michigan is to use vertical polarization for
SSB (as some ops do here in LA), then you REALLY need a vertical antenna, since
polarization really makes a difference on 6 meters. Cross polarization can
result in a loss of as much as 20 dB in signal strength, which could pretty
much explain why you're not hearing anyone with a horizontal antenna (if the
local ops are working SSB with vertical polarization).  If you can hit one of
the local 6 meter repeaters, ask any operator you reach what the local practice
is for SSB.

If you want to get serious about 6 meters weak signal (SSB), invest in the
Elecraft PR-6 pre-amp designed for that band. It's worth the cost for its
performance.

Lew K6LMP