From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of The Smiths
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 1:41 PM
To: gelamb...@charter.net; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Repair

Ed,

STOP your worrying right now.  The K3 has PROVEN itself to be a VERY
reliable rig, and what you are seeing is the squeaky wheel going around.
This is how it works on this and other user groups... one person says
something and then all the vocal people start building a mountain out of a
mole hill.  This will happen with EVERYTHING, the use of a static mat, how
big it should be, what the resistor should be on the little cord that
connects to the matt, what type of headphones to use, even why the clock in
the K3 is 2 seconds off a month/day/etc... They blow everything up to look
like the rig is a complete fail.
You have to keep in mind that people that have a reason to complain about
something want their opinions heard, and heard loudly.. where as the people
that have had good experiences generally don't speak out on these sites.

This is no different than when you go to a review sight about a Vacuum or
any other consumer good and all you read are bad reviews, yet you've had the
same very device sitting in your house working perfectly well for the last 3
years.  Yes, there are going to be some issues with the rigs from time to
time, but keep in mind over 4000 of these units have been sold... Most units
themselves.  The President of the company has already come on this user
group and explained what the majority of work he's been seeing coming back
and why... Yet the wheels keep going around and around on here...

The backlog on repairs will always change from day to day.  Today it could
be 20 people wanting the P3 I/O buffer resistor replaced in prep  for the
P3, tomorrow it could be 10 people wanting a new DSP replacement for the
audio mods released, and then again, 2 weeks from now there may only be one
unit on the bench waiting for a simple RF repair... It's all random.. The
squeaky wheels are just catching this at a time when the delay is longer
than not due to a lot of new mods that were implemented recently(last 2 or 3
months).

Find someone that lives near you, spend a day with the K3, play with it.  If
you find that it looks and feels like you want in a rig, BUY it.. You wont
regret it.  I just urge you not to use the Squeaky wheels to make your
decision for you.  73