Hi Lee,

Operating WSJT with the K3 is very simple. You do not need your SignaLink
USB device, though if you insist on using it, you can certainly do so --
it's just that I do not know anything about it. You'll need to find advice
on using it elsewhere.

Using the sound card in your computer, simply run two jumpers --- one from
the speaker or line out output from your sound card to the Line In jack on
the K3, and the other from the Line Out jack on the K3 to the Mic or Line In
jack on the sound card. Those are the only connections you need. You can
switch into transmit mode using the VOX capabilities on the K3. (You will
need to enable VOX operation on the K3.) A fancy T-R switching setup is
unnecessary, but again you can do it the complicated way if you insist. You
will doubtless get all kinds of advice on how to do this, but the truth is,
you don't need to do it at all. VOX works fine. And it's easy.

There is a Line Out level adjustment in the K3 configuration menu. Set it to
"NOR" mode (fixed-level output, does not change with AF Gain control) and
set the output level to about 7 (pretty low). This avoids distortion caused
by too hot an output level into the sound card. Then adjust the sound card
mic or line in level (line is usually a better choice) to produce an
appropriate level on the WSJT waterfall display. All this is described in
the WSJT user manual, and I'm not going to repeat it all here. Then adjust
the sound card's speaker or line out output to produce full normal transmit
RF output from the K3. Adjust the speaker out level until get about four
bars or so of ALC indication on the K3; this will produce full RF output on
all the FSK441 audio frequencies. The microphone and compression controls on
the K3 are NOT used in this configuration; they are bypassed. Use the WSJT
interface to create test messages or to send single tones. Again, all this
is covered in the WSJT manual.

You should set up your K3 so that the digital mode of choice is DATA  A.
This mode should be used with all sound card based digital modes except for
RTTY (and you can use it for RTTY too if you want to). DATA A mode is like
USB mode except that it automatically disables transmit equalization and
compression, neither of which you want on a digital mode, and it bypasses
the front-panel mic and compression level controls.

The K3 has an excellent cooling system for the PA, and you can safely run it
at full 100 watts output for 30 seconds at a time, 50% duty cycle. The fan
will run fast and probably audibly after a little while, but that's what it
is there for. The PA will NOT overheat. It's well-designed to be able to
handle this kind of operation.

Once you have transmit and receive working, you will need to learn the
weak-signal operational protocols. There is ONE correct way to operate these
modes using WSJT, and making it up as you go along, as you might on phone or
CW, is NOT an option. You have to do your schoolwork and learn how to do it
right. Resources: Ping Jockey Central
http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk; the WSJT Group page
http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/. There are many others; these two are essential.
On the latter site, look especially in the left-hand frame for links to the
many tutorial articles. Join the WSJT online groups and mailing lists, ask a
LOT of questions, and make sure you understand the answers. If at all
possible, find someone in your area who has been through this whole process
to help you get up to speed.

I won't BS you, there is a somewhat steep learning curve to WSJT, but it is
well worth it! Persevere and you will get there. Expect to make a lot of
mistakes until you get the hang of it, and don't get discouraged, but DO
continue to use the Internet to NETWORK and READ. Best of luck! Hope to see
you on PJ one of these days.

Bill W5WVO