> I'm curious as to whether or not Lyle's assertion "The K3 does have
> ALC output, but you shouldn't use it."

Lyle never said that.  Someone was quoting my response and had my name
at the top followed by their assertion, and my comments a few paragraphs
down.

In fact, the K3 has ALC *input* that is compatible with most amplifiers,
assuming the K3 has the negative ALC mod.  The negative ALC has been
standard in production for the K3 for many, many months now.

In general, I suggest you set the K3 to run the amplifier at its normal
level, and have ALC connected in case something goes mildly wrong and
the amplifier requests drive be reduced , but before the amplifier
faults and goes off-line.  One should never crank up the
transmitter/exciter to the amplifier, and then use ALC to throttle back
the drive as this usually  leads to splatter and other undesirable traits.

The ALC has not yet been activated in the KPA500, but will be soon.  My
prototype KPA500 is operating nicely on the air with today's KPA500
firmware update :-) . I set the drive from the K3 to get about 450W to
500W on peaks. The amplifier is good to well over 600 watts, so that
leaves plenty of margin, better IMD, etc.

73,

Lyle KK7P