I had this going on too and a really slick way to fix the problem is
with an RF limiter...

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html#rflimiter

I.C.E. makes a very cost effective unit that gets the job done very
well...  I ordered the 196 unit and then I didn't want to have it with
RCA connectors on it so I asked them to build it wit the BNC connectors
like they do on the VHF unit.  They had no problem with that and did so
no extra cost.

~Brett (N7MG)