> 1. Do I need smt de-soldering equipment to replace a failing CMP-PWR-MON
> shaft encoder?

No

> 2. Can I install a second antenna jack without buying an antenna tuner I
> don't need? Would I need a relay? I'd like to put 6M on ANT 2 for
> convenience (and uncharacteristic economy since I'm on a fixed income now).

There's room for another SO-239 connector in the back, remove the back plate
and you can mount it there.  Connecting it to the rig is another matter.

> 3. How does the DSP upgrade change what I've been satisfied with hearing for
> several years, mostly on cw, with good cans? Full disclosure: my hearing at
> just-shy of 67 is, ah, somewhat deteriorated with tinnitus.

The DSP upgrade makes a big difference if you're using ESSB.  With CW you keep
your filter under 500Hz most of the time. So most of that freq. isn't even
there... However, After doing the mod myself, I've found that the low Freq.
roll off portion gives me about an extra 75Hz at -30dB and about another 150Hz
range in the low end if I go down to -60dB

The daughter card high end roll off part of the upgrade is rather nice on the
ears.  It takes a lot of the high end noise and filters it out.  Again, if
you're using a tight filter I've found that it's not THAT big a difference.  In
most cases your filter will be too tight to hear all the high freq.  If you
can't hear above 8 or 12KHz, don't bother!  It wont make a bit of difference.

> 4. Haven't felt the press for any of the other hardware mods. Should I? Do
> any of you on that long list of builders/repairmen on the site do the mods?

How old is your rig? What mods do you need? There are a few as a CW op that I
would do.. Like the Synth Board mods. The VFO noise mod, the Speaker protection
mod (not needed really if you swap the DSP board) and a few others.

> Fwiw, I compared good experiences between a modified FT-1000D and a K3,
> A/B-style with a coax switch, over a 6-8-month period in my shack. I have
> only a small regret over selling the Yaesu: I miss 200W on 30M, to which
> there's an easy fix. If the K3 were not on the market, I would still have
> the FT-1000D; in my not-so-mumbled opinion, there's nothing better *that I
> can afford* out there.

Wait till the KPA500 comes out, save your money now and you can have your 200
watts back again.