Dave Ketchum wrote:
We are getting in pretty deep here. I will repeat what I have said a few times:
Vendor (whoever has this responsibility) writes program (whatever is standard and in common for all precincts using this program).

Maybe the whole issue with BlackBox Voting is that we privatize democracy. We leave it to Vendor to control the process. Democracy is for sale.

I strongly believe that some things need to be done inhouse by the administration.

Once you aquire some vendor hardware, you are stuck with them for the software for a very long time. And if you are unlucky enough to have choosen Diebold, then you are in trouble now... until another vendor get strike.

I think the source code should be own by the state (and open source or free software to garantee transparency). I think the hardware/API specification should be state writen.

But of course this is only if you want e-voting... wich I don't. ;-)

David GLAUDE