On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:11:35 -0500 (EST) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Dave Ketchum wrote:

How does IRV justify giving A a win, when most voters agree B is better?

(Minus the backstory:)

So you insist on leaving out my message, making the example empty.

40 A 29 B 31 C,B

A has greater "depth of support."  Over half the people who rank B over A
don't support B strongly enough to rank that candidate first -- so how
dedicated are they, really?  Should their half-hearted votes outweigh the
obviously more dedicated support that A has?

So, having left out my message, you dream up your own, to support your different goal.

In my message the 60 anti-A voters AGREED that A should be banished to the bottom of the barrel - seems to me like about as much "depth of support" as you can get.

One detail I did not mention about the anti-A strategists:
With Condorcet they can permit the contention between B and C, and thus learn what their voters think about this.
With IRV, strategy forbids this - they must discourage C,B votes, for too many of these would throw the election to enemy A.

(And to be clear, no I don't buy into that argument. But I think many IRV supporters genuinely do. And I don't think they're "stupid" for thinking the way they do, they just have a different set of opinions as to what's most important in selecting representatives.)

I interpret that paragraph as saying these IRV backers need educating. It is COMMON for major issues such as abortion, gun control, or drug wars to divide a population into two groups, and then for one or both groups to have disagreements over minor issues.

The problem with examples like these is that too much depends on
interpretation and backstory.  If you're not convinced that compromise
candidates are a good thing (and many IRV supporters fall into this
category) then you're going to have a radically different interpretation
of these cases.

First, IRV and Condorcet should usually agree as to winner - we fight over the fringes.

The story has to matter - I offered one to back my beliefs; you used a different one to back disagreeing.

-Bill Clark

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] people.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek Dave Ketchum 108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY 13827-1708 607-687-5026 Do to no one what you would not want done to you. If you want peace, work for justice.