> James Gilmour wrote:
>
> Now consider:
> 49  A<C<B
> 48  B<C<A
>   3  C<B<A
>
> IRV winner = B;  CW winner = C.
>
> Mike replied:
>
> You've used "<" where you meant ">".

Thanks, Mike, for pointing out my mistake.
The two examples should, of course, have been:

35  A>C>B
33  B>C>A
32  C>B>A
IRV winner = B;  CW winner = C

49  A>C>B
48  B>C>A
  3  C>B>A
IRV winner = B;  CW winner = C.

Incidentally  --
It is interesting that several others have commented on these examples without,
apparently, "seeing"
these mistakes.  On my part, was it just 12 stupid typos, the effect of the ">" in the
margin, or a
Freudian slip of much greater significance?
END of digression!

> You continued:
> I doubt very much whether most electors would accept C as the
> "winner" if  this were an election for
> Sate Governor, much less for a directly elected President of
> the USA.  If  anyone has evidence to the
> contrary I'd like very much to see it.
>
> I reply:
> Ok, I'll give you evidence to the contrary: It's in your rankings.
>
> 52 people prefer C to B. If B and C ran in a 2-candidate
> election, then,
> unless you believe that those people will vote against their
> own preference  between those two, C will win, 52 to 48.

This is not evidence, just a restatement of what is the self-evident outcome of the
Condorcet
election.  And it was not a 2-candidate election with only B and C.  What I am saying
is that I
believe, based on my daily involvement with politicians, party activists, campaigners
for voting
reform and campaigners against voting reform, that there will be a general reaction
against the
result and the voting system when they see the CW outcome of the 49/48/3 vote.  They
will understand
all the intellectual arguments for the CW, but in these particular circumstances, they
will still
say "there is something wrong here"  -  "this result is not acceptable".  This is my
interpretation
of the "intuitive responses" or "gut reactions" of those I encounter in practical
politics.  I do
not have any attitudinal survey data to confirm my view; it is just my interpretation
of the
political responses I have encountered.  But I should be very pleased to see any such
data that show
my interpretation is wrong.  It would be very re-assuring to know that the Condorcet
Winners would
be accepted in major public elections where those CWs had first preference support of
only tiny
proportions of those who voted, just a few percent.

James