On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, James Green-Armytage wrote:

Forest,

Interesting stuff; I'll have to look at this for awhile.
Might be good to mention the operative approval strategy at the beginning
of these posts, to avoid confusion. You mentioned a few possible
strategies in your 1/17 e-mail; I'm not quite sure which one you are
assuming voters will follow in this post, or in your reply to my approval
scenario #1. If you don't take things slow, slowpokes like me will get
lost pretty quickly.

Good point. The strategy I'm using is Rob LeGrand's "Strategy A," which says to put your approval cutoff next to the current perceived top frontrunner on the side of her greatest perceived competitor.

In Rob's simulations this strategy has always quickly locked on to the CW when there is one.

My posting (that you are asking about) is my attempt to explain why approval Strategy A works so well.

Forest