Markus--

You said:

Dear Mike,

you wrote (26 Feb 2005):
But he [= David Gamble] didn't ask who first defined
the Schulze method. He asked who first proposed the
wv Condorcet methods. I'd proposed the wv Condorcet
methods, and wv Condorcet methods were popular, long
before you joined EM, and long before you defined
Schulze's method and made it a wv method.

Well, you proposed MinMax(winning votes). But you didn't propose a general concept that could also be used for other methods than MinMax.

I reply:

No, in addition to proposing PC and Smith//PC in those days, I also proposed wv as a general class of methods, and pointed out the advantages conferred by wv.

The other wv Condorcet versions were proposed later. But I proposed wv as a general class of methods, and pointed out its advantages and benefits, long before you joined EM or proposed Schulze's method.

You say that I proposed MinMax, but which MinMax are you saying that I proposed? There have been several different methods referred to as MinMax. I suggest that that means that MinMax isn't a very useful name. I'll answer my own question: The MinMax that you're referring to, and which I proposed in those days, was PC.

The differences between the various wv methods such as PC, Smith//PC, SSD, BeatpathWinner/CSSD, RP, and SD, aren't nearly as significant as the difference betweenb wv and non-wv rank methods.

Mike Ossipoff