Hi Folks,

Let me define a variation of Approval Voting with the same voting procedure as standard Approval Voting but a different tally procedure. I'll call it Pairwise Approval Voting (PAV).

The tally procedure starts with the construction of a pairwise matrix from the ordinal information in each vote. That is, if candidate i is approved and candidate j is unapproved, then the (i,j) element gets a one and the (j,i) element gets a zero. The "regular" approval counts go on the diagonal. The CW wins if one exists, otherwise the least-approved candidate is dropped until a CW is found.

Has this or a similar method been proposed before?

Do you consider it better than, worse than, or equivalent to, standard Approval Voting? Why?

Russ