Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 01:25:36 +1000 (EST)
From: Chris Benham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [EM] Re: DMC,AWP,AM

Forest,
You wrote:

"I wonder if the following Approval Margins Sort
(AMS) is equivalent to your Approval Margins method:

1. List the alternatives in order of approval with
highest approval at the top of the list.

2. While any adjacent pair of alternatives is out of
order pairwise ... among all such pairs swap the
members of the pair that differ the least in approval.

CB: AMS doesn't seem very "intuitive", especially to the uninitiated, but I like it! (My other worry is that I even understand it.) So how is this method worse than the best of the methods you currently advocate?

1. It's deterministic.

2. It's not quite as easy to describe or motivate as Definite Majority Choice.

A perhaps ridiculous question: does the AMS  process
always stabilize?

Not a ridiculous question: it's the pigeon hole principle: there are only finitely many permutations of the alternatives, and you cannot return to any of these after you have left it, because once X and Y have been swapped, they are never swapped back, since only out-of-order pairs get swapped.

Forest