Kevin Venzke wrote:

Hi James,

--- James Green-Armytage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

Another accepted use is "more than half of the voters who express a
preference between two options/candidates". That's the definition I
choose. I realize that you don't agree with it, but at least my reasoning
is made clear to you. One benefit of this kind of definition is that it
assures that a batch of spoiled ballots cannot rob a defeat of "majority"
status.
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Neutrality_of_Spoiled_Ballots

Do you mean "spoiled" in the sense meant in that article? Because I don't think there is a danger that many voters will vote everyone equal, and even if they do, I don't think it is a big deal if this breaks some majorities.

It's actually pretty common for voters to cast blank ballots, especially if there are many elections on the same day. The recent elections here at TAMU (http://vote.tamu.edu/resources/2005A/results.htm) are an example of this. So were the 2004 U.S. elections: There were quite a few voters who voted for President but cast a blank ballot in their House race.