At 01:30 PM 5/12/2005, Araucaria Araucana wrote:
In both my post and my writings on the DMC web page, I was trying to
explain the method, not the motivation behind it.

Note that good explanation for a complex proposal will include motivation because motivation for an aspect of the proposal allows it to be understood. When aspects seem arbitrary because the function of them is unknown to the reader, confusion rises.

Yes, there is a value to having an entry for the bare method. But most encyclopedias, for example, would include the reasons why a defined practice is done as well as describing the practice itself. And, yes, it's a wiki, so this can be supplied by anyone; as a corollary, the responsibility for doing it rests with no one in particular. I can't fault Q for not providing this information, though I have pointed out that the explanation which is there is quite difficult to understand, at least for this reader, without it.