James Green-Armytage James_Green-Armytage-at-antioch-college.edu |EMlist| wrote:
Russ, you write:

Let me explain how I intuitively think about clones. Forget the formal definition and just think of clones as being perfectly identical to each other.

        Even though it strikes some people as counter-intuitive, the formal
definition is already well-established. If you define another criterion
with a different definition but the same name ("independence of clones"),
it will be a source of confusion. (Likewise, if you use the term "clones"
in the context of voting theory to refer to something other than what Nic
Tideman defined as a clone, it will be a source of confusion.)
        If you'd like to define a new criterion along the lines you describe,
please give it a new name to avoid confusion.

You're right, James. I wouldn't want to confuse the general public by using the word "clone" in a manner consistent with its general usage. Let's instead perpetuate a misnomer into perpetuity so we can rehash it every time the subject comes up.

--Russ