A. First, the important difference, proposability:

Because it's a MinMax method, I've had some difficulty finding a really brief, but unambiguous definition for MMPO. MDDA has a simpler, briefer, but still unambiguous, definition.

I still consider MMPO to be easily proposable, but MDDA seems more so.

B. Other considerations:

  1. For acceptable/unacceptable situations:

       When power truncation is available, both methods are equally good.

When power truncation is not available, the merit difference depends on which kind of voters you want to benefit. When power truncation is not available:

In MMPO, the voter should always rank all the unacceptable candidates in reverse order of winnability, to maximize the votes-against of the most winnable ones.

In MDDA, the voter should sometimes do that, but sometimes should truncate the unacceptables. For instance, if it's certain that the acceptables can't beat the unacceptables at Approval, then the only hope is to disqualify the unacceptables, and that goal is best helped by ranking them, in reverse order of winnability.

The voter who is willing to strategically rank the unacceptables, and has the information to do so effectively is better off with MMPO, if he doesn't have the
         information to judge when to truncate in MDDA.

The voter who either doesn't have the information needed for effective strategic ranking, or who just doesn't intend to bother, is better off with MDDA, because
         often, maybe usually, it's better to truncate anyway.

   2. Other situations other than acceptable/unacceptable:

What I said above about truncation vs strategic ranking probably remains true even
       when it isn't an acceptable/unacceptable situation.

Also, when it isn't an acceptable/unacceptable situation, it could matter that MMPO meets LNH, while MDDA meets SDSC. And that matters even whether power truncation is available or not. So the choice between LNH and SDSC would then be
       a factor in the choice between MMPO & MDDA.

Mike Ossipoff