On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:55:31 EDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 8/4/05 5:23:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Lomax demonstrates familiarity with Robert's Rules (RONR).
Suter writes a LOTTA words, for which I have general thoughts: >>

Some questions you need to answer.

(1) assuming that Lomax is
more familiar with RONR than Suter, does that disqualify Suter
from commenting on RONR? That's what you seem to imply.
Anyone can comment.  You do not demonstrate the familiarity that Lomax does.

(2) Lomax writes a lot more words than Suter. Are you saying
that all of Lomax's words make sense and none of Suter's do?

See above.

(3) Is it possible that you haven't read Suter's words very carefully?

RONR has interested me for many years, so I read both sets of words carefully.

(4) Is it possible that your biases in favor of RONR are preventing
you from carefully considering Suter's words?

You might claim bias in that I note that RONR is WIDELY used, such that any replacement would have to be noticeably better to deserve inflicting on the millions who have trouble keeping up with and using one set of rules, let alone two.

(5) Is there any
chance in hell that Suter may be at least partly rignt and you
and/or Lomax may be at least partly wrong, or are you so
absolutely certain about the near infallibility of RONR that you
refuse to consider that any but very minor occasional revisions
of RONR will ever ever be needed, no matter what voting method
researchers and meeting process researchers and creative
meeting organizers may ever discover?

Current edition of RONR is several times as thick as the first one I learned from. Thus it certainly has been receiving more than "very minor" revisions. As to voting methods, any set of bylaws can explicitly permit approval. If I was into more bylaw writing I would consider adding Condorcet and proposing adding that to RONR.

-Ralph

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    people.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                 If you want peace, work for justice.