At 10:26 AM 8/19/2005, Warren Smith wrote:
Second, it is *false* that you can do IRV on totalizing machines
such as New York's lever mechanical-counter machines (which involve
a lot of binary levers on the front, and there are counters you can read on
the back). There could indeed be a way for a voter to INDICATE a ranked ballot
to those machines via a range<-->ranked transformation.  But so what?
The machine cannot do anything useful with any such indication.  It is sort
of like me talking to you in Ancient Babylonian.  Of course, you are capable
of listening to me, but it does not do either of us any good.

I have elsewhere argued differently, including, I think, today, but now I think I realize my error. The ballots individually express the rankings, but these machines are not ballots except for a few minutes. They do not store the rankings. Instead, they would total each position marked, but not the relative positions on each ballot, which is what is used in IRV. (I.e., IRV, absent special equipment, involves recounting the ballots, such that each ballot with a loser at top preference(s) is recounted to be a vote for the remaining first preference. Silly, I should have known better.... There are no ballots to recount with that type of voting machine. Which is a very good argument for them being quite dangerous, by the way. Given that optical scanning could be used at very low cost with total verifiability, dumping the remaining lever machines could be a good idea, thus eliminating this whole argument.

On the other hand, with range voting, it is not only possible for the voter to INDICATE the range vote to a New York style machine, it also is possible for the machine to DIGEST those votes and for the results of the range election to be easily computed from the
readouts on the back of the machine.  Exactly how this is done, is discussed
on the CRV site
   http://math.temple.edu/~wds/crv/RangeVoting.html
and click "VotingMachines" on the left.

Yes, we knew that it could be done with Range. Range uses simple summations; HOWEVER if it is going to average only those who did not abstain, though (as Mr. Smith proposes and advocates), it would have to have some method of distinguishing between (three voters, for a single candidate):

10
10
0
and
10
10
(blank)

These two votes produce the same sums and they involve the same number of voters. But they would produce a different average vote, 6.67 for the first and 10 for the second.

Voting methods should not produce different results depending on the type of voting machine in use in a precinct....