Warren,

--aha.  So by "median candidate" you do not mean what I thought you meant
(namely, in an N-canddt election, the top-quality floor(N/2) are above median)
but rather median in the prior distribution of probabilities of winning.

But wait, that would be even more insane, since the policy of
voting only for the candidates with above-median prior election probability, would be a policy that would completely disregard the
quality of the candidates.

My understanding of Weinstein's approval strategy is this:
"Approve your favourite (or equal favourites). If the remaining (so far unapproved) candidates are on more than one of your preference-levels, then approve the candidate/s on your next-from-the-top preference-level if you consider that the probability that one of the candidates you prefer less than this/these candidate/s will win is greater than the probability that one of the candidates you prefer more will win. And so on."

This strategy seems sane to me, and probably right for voters who only have a ranking.

Chris Benham