At 01:07 AM 9/20/2005, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
Well, for such voters, Approval is ideal (if it were only more publicly acceptable). But maybe people insist on a rank method.

As to the public acceptability of Approval, it may depend on how it is presented. While Approval could have major implications, it is not really such a radical reform. All that is necessary is to stop trashing overvoted ballots. And it could be presented that way, so instead of calling it Approval, it might be called Expanded Voter Choice or something like that. Or Stop Trashing Votes.

The goal would be to put the shoe on the other foot: I think the no-overvote rule is indefensible; the legitimate objections to Approval are based on the theory that the Condorcet winner should win. But the choice may not be between Condorcet and Approval, but only between Plurality and Approval.

If we get Approval, and especially if the implementation allows the expression of simple preference, whether or not counted for winner purposes, it would then be simple to move toward further reforms including full ranking. There will be more actual election data....