On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:18:00 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 05:43 PM 3/25/2007, Juho wrote:

>> (This
>>applies also to many other discussions on this mailing list on the
>>relative merits of different voting methods and discussions on "which
>>one is best".) To me it seems obvious that FAs and legislative
>>processes need different parameters, the expected behaviour of voters/
>>members is different etc. Often concrete examples of the intended
>>environment help me in understanding what cases the discussed
>>theoretical concept are expected to cover. Proxies can be used in
>>many different ways, as this stream of discussion proves.

> As described, Trees by Proxy so constrains the citizens that some of
> this is lost, though it is unclear to me that these constraints are
> essentials of the system, but rather seem to me to be artifacts of
> the theoretician's additional opinions. For example, if we imagine
> Trees by Proxy as proposed by Ketchum, and then we add to it the
> following provisions:
>
> (1) Voters may vote directly at any assembly by showing up and
> voting, technical constraints permitting. This presence does not, in
> itself, give them other participation rights.

Two thoughts:
      This is not normal for legislatures and not needed for what I
propose, so talking of it would be a distraction.
      For some legislature to do this would be to make up their own luck.

> (2) Proxy assignments can be revoked at any time by notice to the
> affected bodies by the principal.

Since I propose EXACTLY this, sounds like carelessness.

Actually, he wants them to take effect instantly - something I see as too
destructive.

> These changes would bring the proxies into conformance with the basic
> concept I've described, and it is not clear to me that they would
> alter the basic function of Trees by Proxy, except to make it more
> democratic and free.

In what follows he seems to want a legislature to have unlimited freedom
in setting up its own rules.

While a legislature should have some rule making ability, I believe
experience has shown that much of the rules BETTER be standardized.

DWK

--
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    people.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                  If you want peace, work for justice.

----