On May 8, 2008, at 5:52 , Fred Gohlke wrote:

re: "I already commented earlier that the "groups of three" based method that you have studied does not implement proportionality in the traditional way."

You're right. It's not traditional, but it sure is proportional. One of the unspecified conditions I intended for the 'groups of three' method was that participation in the election process should be mandatory, as it is in (I believe) Australia, Singapore and New Zealand. If every person in the electorate participates in the process of selecting those who will represent them in their government, there can be no greater proportionality.

Well, I think proportionality is at its best / strongest when n% of the voters get n% of the seats. Extensive participation in the election process is a good thing but "proportionality" is not a very descriptive name for this.

re: "Large parties (or whatever opinion camps) tend to get more representatives to the higher layers (more than their proportional size is)."

Is that assertion not based on the assumption that large parties (or opinion camps) must dominate our political existence?

Only on the (country independent) technical properties of the "groups of three" method.

(If there are e.g. two parties, one small and one large, the probability of getting two small party supporters (that would elect one of them to the next higher level) in a group of three is so small that in the next higher level the number of small party supporters is probably lower than at this level.)

Juho

___________________________________________________________ All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html