On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Markus Schulze
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Raph Frank wrote (31 Aug 2008):
>
>> I think this is the strategy that most parties actually
>> use for vote management.  They never recommend to the
>> voters not to rank a certain party member.
>
> Actually, it is the main hypothesis of my paper that
> Hylland free riding and vote management are actually the
> same. In section 5.1 of my paper, I write:

Right, what I meant was that parties don't actually use 'pure' Hylland
free riding, i.e. their first choice is excluded, they just push that
person down the rankings.

Btw, is there a simplified explanation of your PR-STV method somewhere ?

>From what I can see, it compares possible outcomes pairwise like
CPO-STV (but only compares outcomes that differ by 1 member).

Ideally, the simplified version would just need to explain the way to
perform that comparison (if each comparison doesn't depend on any of
the others)