Good Morning, Raph

re: "The principle is that if you can't advance (best case
     scenario), then just make sure nobody else advances (2nd
     best scenario)."

Fortunately, people who would pursue such a course are rare. The majority of humans are rational, reasonable people. They have to be, for society could not exist otherwise.

re: "I doubt you could convert a zealot by a 20 min conversation."

Even at the lowest level in the proposal, triads have five days to make a selection.

re: (with regard to "We can anticipate considerable tension in
     the later triads, and that gives the participants an
     opportunity to gauge the others' grace under fire.  That's
     a significant benefit of the method.")

    "Alternatively, if might mean that the final council ends up
     with quite a large range of sizes."

I have no idea what you are trying to say. What 'range of sizes' are you referring to?

Fred