We have a nominee list with much of the formality you describe.

Then we have write-ins, with very little formality.

James frowns on such, saying that the UK properly demands more formality in dealing with the needed exceptions to normal nomination.

I agree that present write-ins are too informal, nominations are too formal to cover all needs, and UK thoughts might help us with doing something to fill the gap.

DWK