Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
I think that one problem with devising a multiwinner method is that we don't quite know what it should do. PAV type optimization methods try to fix this, but my simulations don't give them very favorable scores.

If we are to construct a multiwinner method that degrades gracefully, we probably need to have an idea of what, exactly, it should do, beyond just satisfying Droop proportionality (for instance). The problem with building a method primarily to satisfy a certain criterion is that if the criterion is broken slightly, then the criterion does not tell us how the method should work; and therefore, we might get "discontinuous" methods where the method elects a certain set if a Droop quota supports it, but a completely different group if the Droop quota less one supports that set.

So let's consider a case one may use to justify Condorcet, or to classify Condorcetian methods: if politics is one dimensional, and people prefer candidates closer to them on the line, then there will be a Condorcet winner, and the CW is the candidate closest to the median voter, and (if we think electing the CW is a good idea), we should elect the candidate closest to the median voter.

This case, or general heuristic, seems to be simple to generalize, and one may do so in this manner: call a position the nth k-ile position if n/k of the voters are closer to 0. Then, a multiwinner method that elects k winners should, if politics is one-dimensional, pick the candidate closest to the first (k+1)-ile position, then closest to the second (k+1)-ile position (first candidate notwithstanding as he's already elected), etc, up to k.

To be more concrete, in a 2-candidate election, the first candidate should be the one closest to the point where 33% of the voters are below (closer to zero than) this candidate, and the second candidate should be the one closest to the point where 67% of the voters are below this candidate, the first candidate notwithstanding.
This is exactly what STV-CLE does.

However, I would choose a goal of minimizing the "mean minimum political distance" (expected average distance between a voter and the nearest winning candidate). On a uniform linear spectrum, the minimum is 1/(4k), which occurs by electing the set {(n-1/2)/k for n=1 to k}. This reduces to {1/2} when k=1, so is a generalization of the Condorcet Criterion. However, it can also be applied to a multidimensional political spectrum.