Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
At 05:57 AM 4/8/2010, Raph Frank wrote:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Dave Ketchum <da...@clarityconnect.com> wrote:
> Write-ins permitted (if few write-ins expected,
> counters may lump all such as if a single candidate - if assumption correct
> the count verifies it; if incorrect, must recount).

How do you handle write-ins.  Are write-ins assumed to be equal last
on all ballots which don't mention them?

Yes. Average Range will treat them as abstentions from rating, but as votes, they are problematic. Only Asset Voting can truly fix this problem. However, there is another solution: require a majority. In that case, with good runoff rules, a write-in could get into a runoff election by causing majority failure, at some threshold or standard, one designed to catch write-ins that might win, given a chance. My proposal is to implement Bucklin as a runoff voting system and thus start to collect data that could then be used to determine future reforms. If the runoff allows write-ins, and the first election results show promise, a write-in candidacy at that point would be one where other voters were informed. Write-ins in a Bucklin runoff with, say, no more than three candidates, and a serious poll preceding it as the primary, is very interesting.

I'll note here that Bucklin is not cloneproof, and in some cases it can reward cloning. See http://www.mail-archive.com/election-methods-electorama....@electorama.com/msg02705.html . Thus it might pay for voters of some opinion to add lots of write-ins of the same opinion (leftist, right-winger) as clones.

Your limit to the number of write-ins would help fix that issue, but it does exist.