On Aug 27, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Michael Allan wrote:

Dave Ketchum wrote:
Conditions surrounding elections vary but, picking on a simple
example, suppose that, without your vote, there are exactly nR and
nD votes.  If that is the total vote you get to decide the election
by creating a majority with your vote.

What do nR and nD stand for?

ANY topic for which voters can choose among two goals.

Or, suppose a count of nPoor, 1Fair, and nGood and thus Fair being the
median before you and a twin vote.

If such twins vote Poor, that and total count go up by 2, median goes
up by 1 and is now Poor.

If such twins vote Good, that and total count go up by 2, median goes
up by 1 and is now Good.

This example speaks of two votes, but the rules grant me only one.  I
am interested in the effects of that vote, and any meaning we can
derive from them.  I say there is none.

Ok, so you vote alone. To work with that, whenever median is not an integer, subtract .5 to make it an integer.

If you vote Poor, that and total count go up by 1, median is unchanged and is now Poor.

If you vote Good, that and total count go up by 1, median is unchanged and remains Fair.

Note that single voters get no useful power in an election for
governor, but a majority voting together do have the power (by
combining their votes) to decide the election.

I believe that is true for all elections that are conducted by
conventional methods, regardless of the ballot used - Plurality,
Range, Condorcet or Approval.  An individual's vote can have no useful
effect on the outcome of the election, or on anything else in the
objective world.  Again it follows:

 (a) What the individual voter thinks is of no importance; or

 (b) The election method is flawed.

Which of these statements is true?  I think it must be (b).

Agreed that a is not true though, as you point out, one voter, alone, changing a vote cannot be certain of changing the results.

I do not see you proving that b is true. "Flawed" requires the method failing to provide the results it promises.

Dave Ketchum
--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528