okay, David, the subject is not about me (nor Kristofer), but about election methods. let's let the Subject: header reflect the subject of discussion, not the discussors.

On 11/24/11 9:05 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: robert bristow-johnson <r...@audioimagination.com
    <mailto:r...@audioimagination.com>>
    To: election-methods@lists.electorama.com
    <mailto:election-methods@lists.electorama.com>
    Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:50:02 -0500
    Subject: Re: [EM] More non-altruistic attacks on IRV usage.
    On 11/24/11 2:20 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:

        Let me start off by saying that I'm thankful for this
        list-serve of people passionate about electoral reform
        and that you put together a working consensus statement.  I'm
        trying to work it some more...

        My belief is that the US's system makes it necessary to frame
        electoral reform simply and to limit the options proffered.

    but they should be *good* options.  limiting the proffered options
    to IRV is proven by our experience in Vermont to eventually fail.

dlw: That is a huge non sequitur.

it is precisely what we are talking about. how is it non sequitur? how is offering simple choice of crappy options a useful reform?

Vermont proved nothing, other than the need to prepare for counter-IRV activism.

there's truth to the latter half of that statement.

We face the problem of induction and the hazard of drawing strong inference in the face of small sample sizes ;-).
it's not because Burlington is small and it's not because we used IRV only twice (if the rocket detonates at launch the second time, we start looking at that as a 50% failure rate before just moving along to the next launch). it's because IRV failed in a context where the "spoiler" was not a minor candidate. when there are three or more candidates all, with a good chance of winning, IRV can fail and the election in Burlington is a textbook example how and why.

and just like we identify the failure of the use of the Electoral College when it chooses a different presidential candidate than the popular vote, we identify the failure of IRV when an Condorcet winner exists and IRV did not elect that CW. then all sorts of pathologies or anomalies (thwarted majority, spoiler, reward strategic voting or punish sincere voting, monotonicity) resulted as cascaded consequences. it's really gonna be a textbook case. perhaps IRV advocates might start wising up from it.

         This is what FairVote does and they do it well.

    no they don't.  FairVote sells ranked-choice voting and the
    IRV/STV method of tabulating the ranked ballots as if they are the
    same thing.  i.e., once they convince voters, city councilors, and
    legislators that ranked-choice voting is a good thing (by
    accurately pointing out what is wrong with FPTP in a multiparty
    context and/or viable independent candidates), they present IRV as
    it is the only solution.  that backfired BIG TIME here in
    Burlington Vermont.

dlw: I see, you're from Burlington... The counter IRV campaign may have won, but we are too close to the event to judge rightly its wider significance. The bigger story is that democracy remains an ongoing experiment.
but the immediate story is that IRV *failed*, in 2009, to do what it was adopted for in 2005. there was a lot of people that came to the conclusion that FairVote sorta "sold us a bill of goods".

         If you're going to undercut their marketing strategy then
        ethically the burden of proof is on you wrt providing a
        clear-cut alternative to IRV3.

    Condorcet.

b.s.
what's BS? that Condorcet is an alternative to IRV (and to FPTP)? that it is clear and cut? that, in 2009, it would have avoided the anomalies (Warren would call them "pathologies") that IRV had?

In a world full of low-info voters and fuzzy-choices among political candidates, rankings don't have the weight that rational choice theorists purport for them.

what do you mean: "weight"? rankings are just rankings. if a voter ranks Candidate A above Candidate B (independent of what the absolute rank values are), all that means is that this voter would vote for A if it were a simple two-candidate race with B. and all Condorcet seeks to accomplish is to be consistent with that social choice regardless if Candidate C or Candidate D were in the race or not.

it's pretty simple:

1. if a majority of voters agree that Candidate A is a better choice for office than Candidate B, then Candidate B is not elected. this imposes consistency with the 2-candidate race where we all agree who should be elected and why.

2. the relative merit of Candidate A to Candidate B is not affected by the presence of a third candidate, C. in the converse, this means that removing any loser from the race and the ballot, that this should not change who the winner is. if it does, that loser is a "spoiler". it is precisely the motivation for adopting IRV in the first place.

3. voters should not be called upon to do strategic or tactical voting. voters should not have to consider the tactic of "compromising" and forsake their favorite candidate just to prevent aiding the election of their least favorite candidate.

4. election policy that decreases convenience for voters decreases voter turnout. with similar benefits as "motor voter", election policy that increases convenience (like not making voters return for a runoff) will increase voter turnout. electing candidates with decreased voter participation cannot be considered as "democratic" as electing candidates with greater voter participation (negative campaigns try to keep voters home from voting by decreasing their support for the opposing candidate). it is well known that nearly half of the electorate (who voted on Election Day) stay home from runoff elections. settling the election on Election Day eliminates this additional filter, keeping out the less committed and less informed or aware. but democracy is not about keeping voters from the polls. however, it does impose upon voters to make up their minds about the candidates by Election Day.

these are principles for which we in Burlington adopted IRV in the first place, and in 2009, IRV failed the first three. it also failed to be monotonic (some folks would make that Principle 5 saying something like "voters have a right to know that their vote increases their candidate's chances of being elected, not decreases it), and it failed precinct summability (perhaps Principle 6) which alarms the transparency advocates.

    which Condorcet method i am not so particular about, but
    simplicity is good.  Schulze may be the best from a functional POV
    (resistance to strategy) but, while i have a lot of respect for
    Markus, the Schulze method appears complicated and will be a hard
    sell.  i also do not think that cycles will be common in
    governmental elections and am convinced that when a cycle rarely
    occurs, it will never involve more than 3 candidates in the Smith
    set.  given a bunch of Condorcet-compliant methods that all pick
    the same winner in the 3-candidate Smith set, the simplest method
    should be the one marketed to the public and to legislators.

What works best for wines among wine connoisseurs will not work best for politicians among hacks.

it's about the social choice about what is the best thing to do (specifically who, in a collective judgment, is the best candidate to place in office). all of these Chardonnay drinkers that don't know any better need to be educated to what a Pinot Noir is.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com