On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 16:56 -0500, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> On 11/26/11 4:08 PM, David L Wetzell wrote:
> >
> the counterexample, again, is Burlington Vermont.  Dems haven't sat in
> the mayor's chair for decades.

Is this due to a split of the liberal vote by progressives or other
liberal blocs? Or is it due to a truly Republican leaning demographic?

Also, do folks generally see approval as better than or worse than IRV?

To me Approval seems to solve the spoiler problem without introducing
any unstable weirdness and it is much simpler and cheaper to do than
IRV.