On 8.2.2012, at 7.33, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> On 2/7/12 6:30 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
>> On 7.2.2012, at 5.31, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>>
>>> how can Clay build a proof where he claims that "it's a proven mathematical
>>> fact that the Condorcet winner is not necessarily the option whom the
>>> electorate prefers"?  if he is making a utilitarian argument, he needs to
>>> define how the individual metrics of utility are define and that's just
>>> guessing.
>> Yes, I think Clay assumes that we know how the "aggregate utility" of a
>> society is to be counted. There could be many opinions on how to define
>> "aggregate utility" or "electorate preference", and also opinions that it
>> can not be defined.
>>
>> It is actually not necessary to talk about those general concepts. It is
>> enough to agree what the targets of the election are. Maybe Clay should tell
>> explicitly that in this particular election that he considers the maximal
>> sum of individual (sincere or given strategic) utilities to be the target.
>
> so he's seeking to maximize a measure of utility that is the sum of
> individual utilities and, again, i see no mathematical expression of the
> individual utility to sum up.  how does Clay maximize this sum of undefined
> quantities?

Yes, this is a problem. Clay's next explanation might be that people should
normalize their ratings. (We would be back to one-vote-one-person then, but
further away from the "utility sum" idea.)

> as best as i can tell, we only know what this quantity of individual utility
> is for a simple two-choice election.  assuming all of the voters are of equal
> weight, if the candidate some voter has voted for is subsequently elected,
> the utility to that voter is 1.  if the other candidate is elected, the
> utility to that same voter is 0.

Yes, we have now normalized the utilities to 0 and 1. We assume equal weight
but not equal (sincere) utility difference between the two candidates (for each
voter).

> but when there is a multi-candidate race, this is much more poorly defined.
> say there are 3 candidates, if the candidate that some voter votes for is
> elected, the measure of utility (to that voter) is 1.  if the candidate that
> this voter ranked last is elected, the utility to that voter is 0.  but what
> about that voter's 2nd choice?  it depends who it is and who it is to the
> voter.  if we were to always assume that the utility is 1/2, then it seems
> like the kind of assumption Borda makes.  but the voter's 1st and 2nd choice
> could be very close to each other, or the 2nd choice could be a piece of crap
> just a little better than the last choice.  we don't know.  so how do you put
> together an argument that "it's a proven mathematical fact that the Condorcet
> winner is not necessarily the option whom the electorate prefers" when you
> just don't know whom the electorate prefers because you don't know the
> utility metrics for each voter?
>
> if you answer, "we ask the voters what the utility measure is with a Score
> ballot", then my response is: "how do you know that this is accurate?  that
> the voter even knows or that the voter isn't lying on his ballot to try to
> bury his 2nd choice or to compromise and forsake his favorite candidate?"
> there are so many assumptions made here, it's like we're pulling numbers out
> of our butts.
>
> hardly constitutes anything approximating "a proven mathematical fact".

Agreed.

>>  And then he could continue to say that Condorcet is not designed to meet
>> this target.
>
> how does he know when this target is not even operationally defined.

Condorcet targets are quite clear, so a badly defined method must differ ;-).

> [...]
>> to maximize the worst outcome to any individual voter. Clay's target
>> (corrected to refer to the sum of preferences based target of the election,
>> not to the ambiguous electorate preference) may thus be valid for some
>> elections but not all. (Also Range could be used to approximate majority
>> decisions or Condorcet criterion, but only approximate.)
>>
>>> now, with the simple two-candidate or two-choice election that is (remember
>>> all those conditions i attached?) Governmental with reasonably high stakes,
>>> Competitive, and  Equality of franchise, you *do* have a reasonable
>>> assumption of what the individual metric of utility is for a voter.  if the
>>> candidate that some voter supports is elected, the utility to that voter is
>>> 1.  if the other candidate is elected, the utility to that voter is 0.  (it
>>> could be any two numbers as long as the utility of electing my candidate
>>> exceeds the utility of not electing who i voted for.  it's a linear and
>>> monotonic mapping that changes nothing.)  all voters have equal franchise,
>>> which means that the utility of each voter has equal weight in combining
>>> into an overall utility for the electorate.  that simply means that the
>>> maximum utility is obtained by electing the candidate who had the most
>>> votes which, because there are only two candidates, is also the majority
>>> candidate.
>> I wouldn't say that "the maximum utility is obtained" because that is a too
>> much general utility oriented term. I'd say that "the maximum utility to the
>> society, as agreed, is obtained". Or maybe "the most reasonable practical
>> result is obtained" (based on the conditions that you gave). I thus want to
>> see also your conditions as one possible agreed way to define the (in this
>> case maybe only sensible) targets for the election.
>
> what other conditions could be agreed on?  Two-candidate is a given, High
> stakes and Competitive are pretty hard to agree to change, they are just
> there.  if you want to consider a variance to Equal franchise, then whose
> ballots are going to be attenuated?  will you be able to get those voters to
> agree to have their ballots each count less than your ballot?
>
> this is soooo fundamental.  all i want to do is get people to agree that when
> there are only two choices, that the candidate with the most votes wins,
> which is simple enough.  if you *don't* agree with this, what are the
> conditions you are envisioning for when election to office is awarded to the
> candidate with the fewest votes?  sometimes when considering a simplified
> case like this, you have to ask yourself about the contra-indication.  either
> you award the election to the candidate with the greater number of voters or
> you award the election to the candidate with the fewer number of votes.  i am
> astonished that anyone can see this in any more nuanced manner.  how would
> you *ever* award election to the less-supported candidate?

Yes, these assumptions are quite fundamental. We might have some other
approaches like random ballot, but I assume that you had some extra
requirements/targets that took care of this.

>>> if Clay or any others are disputing that electing the majority candidate
>>> (as opposed to electing the minority candidate) does not maximize the
>>> utility, can you please spell out the model and the assumptions you are
>>> making to get to your conclusion?
>> I think he made his assumptions / definition of the general utility of the
>> society
>
> and what are they?   general utility of the society is equal to the sum of
> the individual utilities, so how are the individual utilities defined?  i
> don't see an answer there and i don't see how there *can* be an answer
> without making a lot of assumptions.  and then if you do that, i don't see
> much confidence in the answer arrived at.

Maybe one could claim that it is possible to agree verbally what the utility
scale is (e.g. 2 = "quite bad"), and one could build a reasonably sensible
model (including assumptions on summable utilities) for non-competitive
elecions. But that model would not work well in competitive elections.

>>  and then assumed that this can be set as an universal target also for all
>> single-winner elections. I wouldn't generalize that approach that much. For
>> example majority oriented elections are a common practice in most societies.
>> So we have at least two fundamentally different approaches to defining the
>> targets of an election. For competitive environments I find your approach to
>> be a very sensible approach. You can either assume that majority rule is
>> what you want, or that majority rule is what you must satisfy with in a
>> competitive environment.
>
> if it's not the majority that rule, what's the alternative?

I'm not aware of any good alternatives to majority rule in competitive
two-candidate elections (with some extra assumptions that rule out random
ballot etc.).

Juho