Mike Ossipoff:

re: "...including ones whose proposals and procedures are
     democratic."  (posted in response to: "My comment was not
     referring to democracies, it was referring to parties")

Parties are not democratic, either in relation to the entire electorate or in relation to their own membership. In terms of the entire electorate, they are but a subset of the people, organized to impose their will on the majority. In terms of their membership, they are oligarchic. They exhibit The Iron Rule of Oligarchy as described by Robert Michels. You can find his fascinating study of the issue, Political Parties, at:

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/econ/ugcm/3ll3/michels/polipart.pdf

This brief excerpt may excite your interest:

  "It is indisputable that the oligarchical and bureaucratic
   tendency of party organization is a matter of technical and
   practical necessity.  It is the inevitable product of the very
   principle of organization ... Its only result is, in fact, to
   strengthen the rule of the leaders, for it serves to conceal
   from the mass a danger which really threatens democracy."
                                     Political Parties, pp 27-28

re: "It isn't the job of the electoral method to choose who will
     run, or to seek out candidates.  We ourselves, the public,
     the voters, should be the ones to decide who our best
     advocates are."

You are correct when you say, "We ourselves, the public, the voters, should be the ones to decide who our best advocates are." You are wrong when you say it is not the job of the electoral method to ensure that happens. The electoral method must ensure that each and every one of us is able to participate in the electoral process, including the selection of candidates, to the full extent of our desire and ability. When the electoral method lets the parties pick the candidates the people will be allowed to choose from, it is not only undemocratic, it's dangerous.

re: "...but which you feel are somehow like Stalin and Hitler."
   and
    "you need to understand and admit that what you really are
     opposed to is is government itself."
   and
    "Yeah, that's what the Democrats say too  :-)   And the
     Republicans too."
   and
    the various and sundry similar slurs strewn throughout
    your post.

These slurs are tiresome, and the deliberate misconstructions of my comments are tedious. Until you demonstrate that you have the intellectual ability necessary to contribute and the common courtesy necessary to participate in 'Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process', I shan't waste my time responding to your posts.

Fred