On 09/18/2012 06:18 AM, Andy Jennings wrote:

I have been thinking this for a while, and I would love to see it
implemented for precisely the situation you describe: the legislature,
or even the voters directly, choosing the overall tax rate.

You might want to build in some hysteresis so that the voters couldn't, even theoretically, one year mandate a 100% tax rate and then, the next, a 0% rate.

(Similar measures might also be used to mitigate short-term populism where elections are frequent. In an electronic proxy voting situation, for instance, it may be useful to have the proxies not lose/gain all their power at once when someone subscribes/unsubscribes, but to more slowly lose/gain that power.)