On 1/7/2013 1:04 PM, Greg Nisbet wrote:
> Hey, I'd like to get a sense of what sorts of multiwinner methods are
> currently known that are reasonably good and don't require districts,
> parties, or candidates that are capable of making decisions ....

On 1/8/2013 12:24 AM, Greg Nisbet wrote:
There's some definite motivation for writing the list of criteria to
exclude parties, districts, and relying on candidates making decisions.
These sorts of mechanisms are not always available (for instance,
picking pizza toppings or locations or something of that nature)....

What I call "VoteFair negotiation ranking" is available at:

www.NegotiationTool.com

This calculation method does not consider political parties or districts or anything other than ranked priorities and incompatibilities.

It goes beyond "VoteFair representation ranking" which is a multi-winner method that also does not consider districts or parties. Specifically the negotiation tool goes beyond the one-dimensional nature of VoteFair representation ranking so that it handles multi-dimensional issues.

Picking pizza toppings could certainly be handled by the negotiation tool. The two demos are for more challenging cases, namely negotiating hiring terms, and assisting a Parliament in choosing a set of cabinet members.

(A few days ago I moved the NegotiationTool website to a different server, and the "contact" form doesn't yet work there yet, but it works otherwise.)

Richard Fobes